Date: April 23, 2020
Time: 8:00 AM CEST
Epilepsy is one of the most common childhood-onset neurological conditions with a genetic basis. Genetic testing is an effective way to determine the underlying cause of early onset seizures and provide effective and tailored treatment.
The Paediatric Epilepsy? Look Beyond Program is a no-cost genetic testing program for individuals in Europe and the Middle East. It is currently available for children whose first unprovoked seizure occurs between 2 to 4 years of age (24-48 months). This program aims to improve early detection of neurodegenerative diseases that begin in early childhood and often initially present with seizures.
In this webinar, presented by Executive Medical Director Tero-Pekka Alastalo (MD, PhD), we will provide an overview of how the program works and evaluate the benefits of genetic testing for paediatric epilepsy patients.
- Discuss the benefits of genetic testing for early-onset epilepsy
- Introduce the program and why it is the best choice for paediatric epilepsy patients
- Describe ordering and how to participate in the program
- Examine the panel used in this program and its strengths
- Give an overview of Blueprint’s experience with epilepsy patients and genetic testing
- Evaluate data privacy and data sharing policies
Tero-Pekka Alastalo, PhD, MD is Chief Medical Officer and co-founder of Blueprint Genetics. He is based in San Francisco and in charge of North American operations. Tero-Pekka has a MD-PhD degree and is specialized in pediatrics and pediatric cardiology. He has a PhD in molecular and cellular biology as well. In 2007, he continued his research at Stanford University, School of Medicine. During this three year postdoctoral training, he focused on the molecular genetic mechanisms of cardiovascular diseases.
More details here