Date: April 23, 2020
Time: 8:00 AM CEST
Epilepsy is one of the most common childhood-onset neurological conditions with a genetic basis. Genetic testing is an effective way to determine the underlying cause of early-onset seizures and provide effective and tailored treatment.
The Paediatric Epilepsy? Look Beyond Program is a no-cost genetic testing program for individuals in Europe and the Middle East. It is currently available for children whose first unprovoked seizure occurs between 2 and 4 years of age (24-48 months). This program aims to improve early detection of neurodegenerative diseases that begin in early childhood and often initially present with seizures.
In this webinar, presented by Executive Medical Director Tero-Pekka Alastalo, MD, PhD, we will provide an overview of how the program works and evaluate the benefits of genetic testing for paediatric epilepsy patients.
- Discuss the benefits of genetic testing for early-onset epilepsy
- Introduce the program and why it is the best choice for paediatric epilepsy patients
- Describe ordering and how to participate in the program
- Examine the panel used in this program and its strengths
- Give an overview of Blueprint’s experience with epilepsy patients and genetic testing
- Evaluate data privacy and data sharing policies
Tero-Pekka is the Executive Director of Medical, and also a co-founder at Blueprint Genetics. He is based in San Francisco and holds various responsibilities in the North American operations of the company. Tero-Pekka has an MD-PhD degree and is specialized in pediatrics and pediatric cardiology. He has a PhD in molecular and cellular biology as well. During his 3-year postdoctoral training at Stanford University School of Medicine, he focused on the molecular genetic mechanisms of cardiovascular disease.
More details here